The history of ECVB is available here
In the 1900s many Belgian villages were still lit using petroleum lamps, as electricity had not been made available. By 1913, many of these had been updated to Kerosene lamps.
In 1903, the company that owned the tram system that serviced the canals founded a regional electricity company the ‘Société Centrale d’Electricité du Brabant’ (CEB). The Oisquercq power plant in Western Brabant, which was the first major power plant in the country, became part of CEB.
In 1905 , the ‘Reunions Societes d’Energie du Bassin de l’Escaut’ emerged in Antwerp (this is later to be known as Electrabel).