In 1814, Napoleon nationalised the cultivation and sale of tobacco in France and it was at this time the Burrus family, who were winemakers from Dambach-la-Ville, fled Alsace and settled just on the border at Boncourt. As a farmer, Martin Burrus (1775-1830) first sold rolls of tobacco made by hand …
Mundesley sanatorium was built in pre-fabricated sections made of timber, by Boulton and Paul ltd. It was the first large centre in England that had been built specifically for open-air treatment of the disease. However, due to its status as a private hospital, Mundesley could only offer treatment to wealthy patients. Mundesley had a post and telegraph office, and is was terminus of the Great Eastern, and Midland and Great Northern Railways, so that it was easily accessible from London, the Midlands, and the North.
When Société Centrale d’Electricité du Brabant started what is more commonly known as ECVB power plant, it contained 2 2000 kilowatt turbo alternators running at 3000rpm generating 3 phase current at 12,000 volts and 50 cycles. Steam was supplied by three Babcock & Wilcox marine type boilers at 200 pound pressure and 620˚F
In total, the premetro spans a 13.5 km long tunnel network. Of these, however, only 8.1 kilometers operated. The remaining 5.4 km (including a tunnel under the Turnhoutsebaan, named the ‘Giant Pipe’) will be kept but is not currently in use.
Château de Noisy is a beautiful castle in the open lands of Belgium. The former ‘holiday camp’ is in a heavy state of disrepair and despite several offers, the owners refuse to sell it. It has suffered heavily from vandalism and the details from the interior have been removed to be used in another castle. Château de Noisy is one of the most beautiful locations we have seen.
Bessingham Manor has an amazing history in this graded area, we will cover the stories later in this article. When repairs went wrong, the decline of this manor house started. Seeing the building now highlights the significance of the damage. Three stories of flooring has collapsed, internal structure has failed and the roof is partly complete. There are significant plans to demolish this structure and build a new manor house, using many of the existing materials and original features.
As early as 1886, the discovery and development of Radar was under way beginning when, German physicist Heinrich Hertz showed that radio waves could be reflected from solid objects.
Over the next eighteen years progress was slow globally until 1904 when German, Christian Huelsmeyer first used radio waves to detect the presence of distant metallic objects. In 1917 Nikola Tesla, the Serbian-American physicist outlined the concept for primitive radar units, and in 1922 Americans A. Hoyt Taylor and Leo C. Young, researchers working with the U.S. Navy, discovered that when radio waves were broadcast at 60 MHz it was possible to determine the range and bearing of nearby ships in the Potomac River.
St. Andrews Asylum is also known as the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum Annexe. Its a vast complex arrangement of traditional H shaped buildings all linked with a straight trunk corridor. Its rumoured that St. Andrews is only one of two original asylums that has a curved corridor. The main Norfolk County …